posted this on January 4, 2012, 7:21 PM
Run SolverSetup.exe (or SolverSetup64.exe, only for 64-bit Excel 2010) to install Analytic Solver Platform, Risk Solver Platform, Premium Solver Platform, Risk Solver Pro, Premium Solver Pro or XLMiner. Make sure you have downloaded the latest version of the correct Setup program from Solver.com. Your copy of the program may have a name such as SolverSetup_12345.exe -- this is normal and in fact preferred.
To use the software, you must have first installed Microsoft Excel 2013, Excel 2010, Excel 2007, or Excel 2003 on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP or Windows Server 2008. (Note -- support will end in 2014 for Excel 2003 and Windows XP.) It’s not essential to have the standard Excel Solver installed. Please be sure to close all Excel windows before you begin.
1. Use Start Run... to run the SolverSetup.exe program, or double-click its filename in Windows Explorer. When prompted "Do you want to run this file", clock the Run button. You'll first see a dialog "Preparing to install...", while the files are decompressed, then the standard Windows Installer dialog. Next, you'll see a dialog "Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for Frontline Excel Solvers." Click the Next button.
2. The next dialog will ask for an installation password, and a license activation code:
If you are using the software with a 15-day free trial, check your email for a message containing the installation password and the license activation code for your free trial. Enter both of these into the correct edit boxes, and click the Next button.
If you are upgrading from a previous version of the software, you won't have to enter the installation password, and you won't have to enter a license activation code -- just click the Next button. If you've just received a new license activation code from Frontline Systems, for a new product version or extended license term, you can enter it in the correct edit box, and click Next.
3. If you do enter a license activation code (you must have Internet access for this to succeed), SolverSetup will display a dialog reporting whether your license was successfully activated. If it wasn't, please contact Frontline Systems, or submit a support ticket on this Web portal for assistance.
4. In the next dialog, SolverSetup will ask if you accept Frontline’s software license agreement. You must click “I accept” and the Next button in order to be able to install the software.
5. SolverSetup then displays a dialog where you can select or confirm the folder to which files will be copied. This is normally C:\Program Files\Frontline Systems\Analytic Solver Platform, or if you’re installing for 32-bit Excel on 64-bit Windows, C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontline Systems\Analytic Solver Platform). Click the Next button to proceed.
6. If you have an existing license, or you’ve just activated a license (such as a 15-day free trial) for full Analytic Solver Platform, SolverSetup will display a dialog where you can choose to run the software as a subset product – Risk Solver Platform, Premium Solver Platform, Risk Solver Pro, Premium Solver Pro, or XLMiner – instead of the full Analytic Solver Platform. You can change this product selection at any time via Help - Change Product in Excel. Using this feature, you can easily confirm that the functionality you need is available in the subset product. Click the Next button to proceed.
7. You’ll see a dialog confirming that the preliminary steps are complete, with an Install button at the bottom. When you click Install, the Analytic Solver Platform files will be installed, and the Analytic Solver Platform add-in will be registered with Excel as a COM add-in (which may take some time). A progress dialog appears; please be patient.
8. When the installation is complete, you’ll see a dialog "Installation Wizard completed." Click the Finish button to exit the installation wizard. If the box "Start Excel and show me Analytic Solver Platform" is checked, Microsoft Excel will open, with a "Welcome Workbook" that gives you many hints on how to proceed.
After installation, you'll notice that there's a new Start menu folder Frontline Systems - Analytic Solver Platform that gives you quick access to several example Excel workbooks, the Solver Help file, Quick Start Guide, New User Guide, Reference Guide, and other tools to install license and activate/deactivate the Analytic Solver Platform add-in.